DARLINGTON, S.C. – The Darlington County School District is currently seeking school bus drivers and will host a driver training class Nov. 14-16 at the Darlington County Institute of Technology. Drivers can earn between $10.97 and $15.82 per hour with bonus opportunities every 45 days.
The driver training class will be held Nov. 14-16 from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Darlington County Institute of Technology, located at 160 Pinedale Drive in Darlington. The deadline to enroll for the class is Nov. 10.
In order to be eligible to become a school xbus driver, a person must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED and have a valid South Carolina driver’s license for at least one year.
There are 10 steps to becoming a school bus driver:
1. Complete an application for employment and paperwork to attend a training class.
2. Pass a SLED background check.
3. Pass a check of license history with the DMV.
4. Complete State Department of Education classroom training (Four days).
5. Obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) permit.
6. Pass a physical and a drug test.
7. Train with district instructors for a length of time to be able to perform pre-trip skills and driving.
8. Pass a physical performance test.
9. Obtain CDL license with proper endorsements.
10. Ride a route for five days with a driver.
For more information or an application, call the Darlington County School District Office of Transportation at 843-398-2313.