Frequently Asked Questions

The purpose of this page is to give answers to some of the questions that the department receives from students, parents, teachers and employees. 
It will be updated regularly.

How can I put money on my child's account?
Payment is accepted at the cafeteria where the child attends school.  You can pre-pay on their account any time throughout the year or send money daily.  Parents can sign up to pay for their child(ren)'s  meals online!  Go to now!

How much do meals costs?
ALL Darlington County School District students will receive breakfast and lunch at no cost.

Adult meal prices are:
Breakfast:  $2.35
Lunch:       $3.85

How can I become a worker in a cafeteria?
Persons wishing to become employed in our cafeterias must first work as a substitute for one year.  Substitute job postings are handled through the Job Services office in Hartsville.  Available substitute positions are posted several times throughout the year.

Why are adult food portions the same size as a student's?
The Federal Government mandates that all meal portions are the same regardless if it is a child or an adult.  The adult is charged more because the school district does not receive any additional funding for an adult meal.

How can I contact someone in the Food Services Department?
The following are contact numbers for the Food Services Department:
Dawn Johnson, Director, (843) 398-2315
Carolyn Vaughn, Payroll, 398-2316
Lisa Harley, Accounts Payable, 398-2317
Rene' Sturgeon, Network Administrator/Free & Reduced Lunch Applications, 398-2318

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,

color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)        email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.