How to Become a Bus Driver
Federal Licensing Requirements
- Meet all requirements to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit to random alcohol and drug testing
- Meet all physical, mental, and moral requirements
State Training and Licensing Requirements
- Meet all requirements to obtain a CDL Class B with Air Brakes, Passenger & School Bus Endorsements
- Have no more than 4 points against current driving record in previous twelve months
- License may not be suspended for a moving violation within the previous 5 years
- Successfully complete the 20 hours South Carolina School Bus Training Class
- Successfully complete 20 hours of Behind the Wheel Training
- Pass a Department of Transportation physical examination
- Test negative for alcohol and drugs
- Have a minimum of twelve (12) months driving experience
- Submit to a criminal background check.
Darlington County School District Application Process
Step 1. Complete an application. Application available at 102 Park Street, Darlington, SC.
Step 2. During the process, the applicant must be successful in the following:
- Pre-employment Drug Test
- DOT Physical -Tuberculosis Test
- CDL Permit Review Class
- Physical Performance Test.
Step 3. Applicant must attend an authorized CDL classroom and successfully pass exit test.
Step 4: Applicant reviews with District Safety Officer.
Step 5: Applicant tests at SC DMV for a CDL permit.
Step 6: Applicant returns to Safety Officer with permit.
Step 7: Applicant completes Behind the Wheel for 20 hours and CDL Pre-trip/Road test.
Step 8. Applicant completes Behind-the-Wheel Bus Training (BTW) (20 hours).
Step 9. Applicant tests at SC DMV for a CDL license and returns to the Safety Officer.
Step 10. Applicant is scheduled for hiring by the Administrative Assistant in District Transportation.