Parental Information About Flu & Viruses
In an attempt to keep your child healthier through out the school year the nurses would like to offer the following tips:
• A temperature over 100º F is considered fever.
• In most 2-5 day childhood illnesses, fever is lowest in the morning, rises in the afternoon, highest at night. As the child begins to recover, morning temperature will be normal with fever present later in the day.
• Children with mild illnesses should be kept home until they are free of fever, diarrhea, and/or vomiting for 24 hours without medication.
• If your child needs to continue on prescription medications after an illness it must be brought to the school in the labeled prescription bottle along with physician authorization. Three times-a-day medication can be given before school, after school and at bedtime. Please check with your pharmacist. If your child needs to take a dose of medicine at school ask for two labeled bottles so you will not have to send the medicine to school every day.
• If your child needs to continue an over-the-counter medication after an illness, it must be brought to the school in the original container with parental permission form.
• Physician’s instructions take precedence over the above guidelines.
To download this information, click here.